Our Health Products
Call Us Toll-Free CANADA / USA
Not logged in
Volta Site Pages
Sign up for our emails & receive special offers, discounts & prize giveaways!
Join Our Mailing List
Vitamin D3 - The Sunshine Vitamin
Vitamin D3, the "sunshine vitamin" is fast becoming a necessary supplement for everyone to be taking. Vitamin D is naturally synthesized by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention more than half of the general population is vitamin D deficient regardless of age. About 70 percent of elderly Americans and 90 percent of Americans with dark skin are vitamin D deficient.
How did we get to this point of deficiency? Not enough sun exposure, too little exercise, and a diet high in processed foods. These days, too many of us spend our days sitting in front of a computer, grabbing the quickest unhealthy food to make it through the day. No wonder vitamin D levels are at an all time low.
Vitamin D deficiency is linked to the most prevalent diseases of our time. Current research shows vitamin D deficiency is linked to osteoporosis, obesity, prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, heart disease, hypertension, depression, schizophrenia, autoimmune diseases, and more being discovered.
It's nearly impossible to get enough vitamin D through your normal diet. You would have to drink 10 glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get the "minimum" levels of vitamin D into your diet. Also the form of vitamin D in milk is vitmain D2, D3 being the ideal form.
Here are some Vitamin D facts:
- It is virtually impossible to get enough vitamin D through your diet.
- Vitamin D is naturally synthesized through your skin in response to exposure from natural sunlight
- Vitamin D deficiency is linked to osteoporosis, obesity, prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, heart disease, hypertension, depression, schizophrenia, autoimmune diseases.
- The further from the equator you are, the longer exposure to the sun is needed for you to generate vitamin D. Most of North America is far from the equator.
- Dark-skinned people may need 20-30 times more sun exposure as compared to light or fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. This may be why prostate cancer is an epidemic among black men. Studies show African Americans of all ages have a 90 percent chance of being vitamin D deficient.
- Studies show about 55 percent of children are vitamin D deficient.
- Vitamin D is particularly important to pregnant women and children. We know that it controls brain developement in fetuses, and children that are born from vitamin D deficient mothers, have decreased bone mass.
- Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
- 4000 IU/day is recommended for pregnant women as safe and effective in producing a 50% reduction in many comorbidities of pregnancy such as preeclampsia and preterm labor. These results are from a randomized clinical trial done by Drs Carol Wagner and Bruce Hollis of the Medical University of South Carolina.
- Rickets, a disease caused by insufficient vitamin D and once believed to be obsolete is on the rise in the US. In 2003 The American Academy of Pediatrics acknowledged this and told pediatricians to recommend daily vitamin D supplements for their patients.
- A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who were given calcium and vitamin D supplements showed a 60 percent reduction in cancer risk compared with women who weren’t given the supplements.
- Scientists at Harvard reported that high levels of vitamin D reduced children’s likelihood of developing asthma.
- A study done in Boston found that rates of heart attack, stroke, and heart failure were about 50 percent higher in those with low levels of vitamin D.
- A landmark study done in the Netherlands showed an 80 percent reduction in the rate of type 1 diabetes among children who were given vitamin D supplements.
- When Mayo Clinic researchers looked at the Vitamin D level of patients who had unexplained widespread musculoskeletal pain for a long time they found that 93 percent had vitamin D deficiency.
- Even weak sunscreens (SPF-8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95% or more. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease - by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body. The latest research also showing common sunscreen chemicals may generate free radicals, and are now shown to cause cancer and DNA damage.
- Chronic vitamin-D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches, and pains.
- Research has established that a clear link exists between vitamin D deficiency and the inflammation that is related to heart disease.
- Studies suggest an inverse relationship between vitamin D levels and the incidence of heart attack: the lower the vitamin D levels, the higher the incidence of heart attack.
Supplementing with vitamin D3 is now ever so important. It takes months of vitamin D supplementation and or sun exposure to bring your vitamin D levels in your body up to healthy levels. Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight. Please do your research, and just maybe, you may have to update your doctor on recent findings.
Purchase NOW Foods Vitamin D3